Thanksgiving has come and gone and the holiday season will soon be in full swing. Between family get-together’s, shopping for that perfect gift and putting up decorations you may find your homework and study time slipping away. Don’t let your school work fall behind during this busy time.
- Check Your School Schedule – The Allen School knows the value of family and spending quality time with your loved ones and we strive to give you plenty of time to spend the holidays with your friends and family. Be sure to know your days off and plan family events accordingly. This may mean you need to wait an extra day to join the festivities or come back home a little early, but it is a small price to pay knowing that you can be in a great new career at this time next year.
- Check Your Budget – The children in your life probably have a wish list that is a mile long and it can be tempting to pick up extra shifts or even a second job to give them everything they want. Before you do though, write out a daily schedule of how work, home, and school are fitting into your life now. If you have to give up study time or a good night’s sleep to pick up extra income you should think again. Remember school will be over before you know it and you will likely be in a whole new position at this time next year.
- Be a Guest, Not a Host – Even if holidays are traditionally celebrated at your house, now is a great time to start a new tradition of sharing the host responsibilities. You can still help on the day of the event and bring a dish or two to pass. If you do have the family over do not be shy about asking for help. You will be surprised who is willing to help you clean house and join in the prep duties in the kitchen.
- Keep in Touch – If you simply must miss a day of school let your instructor know well ahead of time. They can help you plan what material will be covered while you are gone and also if you are going to miss any assignments, quizzes, or skill evaluations. You can also speak to the Student Services department and create a plan for making up your time when you get back. Remember the first step to being successful is being in class.
- Don’t Forget to Study – Use your holiday travel time to do some reading and take a few quiet moments at the end of a busy day of cheer to review your materials for when you go back to class. You can even put your material on flashcards and turn it into a game so your family can help you and see how far you have come in your studies. Who knows, you may even inspire someone to better their lives just like you are.
From the Allen School Family to you we hope you have a very enjoyable holiday season. Enjoy your time with family and friends, and treasure the gift of education you are giving yourself. If any of your family and friends are ready to change their lives and start classes at the Allen School please have them visit our website at www.allenschool.edu
or give us a call at 877-591-8753.