It’s the season of giving and now is a perfect time to look for some volunteer opportunities to help build your resume. By volunteering not only are you going to make a difference in someone’s life but you are going to find benefits that may help you jumpstart your own healthcare career. Below are just a few things that may happen if you take some time to volunteer.
- Resume Building – Volunteer positions can play a vital role in building your resume as you begin your new career. Not only will it help build your experience in the field, it will also show potential employers that you are dedicated to being truly successful as you start looking for a new position. If you have never had any job in the field of healthcare volunteering is a great way to pick up some experience.
- Create Connections – Volunteering will help you meet other people already working in the field of healthcare. They may know of open positions you can apply for or have sound advice that will help you get an advantage over other potential job candidates. They can also be a valuable resource for work references as you start to fill out job applications.
- Find Your Passion – Volunteering in many different settings and patient populations will help you determine what type of work you may want to do in the future. Who knows you may have always felt drawn to pediatrics, but after volunteering in a geriatric unit you may realize that your true calling is working with the elderly.
- Push Your Limits – While we strive to create as life like a setting as possible in the classroom, nothing beats real-life experiences. When you volunteer with real patients who truly need your help you will realize that some things can only be learned by doing. You will build your skills and also build your character as a person and a healthcare provider.
- Volunteering is Rewarding – No matter what setting you choose to volunteer in you can be proud of yourself and your work. Not only will you be a better person, but you will be making life better for those around you as well. Even a simple act of kindness on your part can be enough to change someone’s whole day.
With the holiday break just around the corner, now is a great time to look for volunteer opportunities to help benefit others and yourself.